Pregnancy #2

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Belly with Baby #2

Belly with Baby #2
39 Weeks

Baby #2

Baby #2
Born April 16, 2013

1st Pregnancy

1st Pregnancy
2006

Baby #1

Baby #1
Born: May 24, 2006 7 lbs 9 oz. 20.5"

"Baby" #1

"Baby" #1
Now 8 Years Old

Maternity Photos

Maternity Photos



Thursday, January 31, 2013

Trip to the ER

Can I just say - BLAHHHH

I started feeling, not like my usual self Tuesday, but I still worked and functioned.
By Tuesday evening I was feeling weaker, but still went to my studio to get some work done.
I woke up Wednesday morning, did our morning - get Alyssa off to school routine - and wasn't feeling like myself.  As soon as she left I hit the couch, instead of the studio.  I felt very weak and tired, so I went to bed.  After a 2 hour nap I woke up hoping to feel better, but was not.  It was lunch time and I grabbed a couple crackers just to eat something

It got worse and worse as time went on.  I took a shower about 2pm, thinking that would help, and instead it just made me more weak.  I made it to the school to pick up Alyssa and thought I was going to melt into a pool of goo I was so weak.
But I got her, and thankfully we only live a block from the school.  I hit the bed as soon as we walked in, only to have to jump right back up to puke my guts out.
That's when things started getting bad.  The chills, the aches and pains.
I couldn't eat or drink.

My dad came and got Alyssa about 5pm.  At 5:30pm the contractions started.

I finally gave in and took some Tylenol for my fever hoping that would help make me feel better from the horrible body aches.  Of course it doesn't kick in right away and the contractions continued.

I pulled up the contractions app on my phone to track them... 
oh crap.
They were 3-4 min apart.
 And they weren't stopping...

Hubby got home at about 6:30 from work, jumped in the shower, and off to the hospital we went.

Having the flu, I had to wear a mask the entire time, which was honestly HORRIBLE.  It was like being under covers for hours without fresh air.  It kept going up into my eyes.  I understand it was very necessary, but it was also very uncomfortable, when I was already sick and dealing with contractions.

They wheeled me up to the the family birth place.  I had a wonderful nurse who was with me most of the time and I felt very cared for and understood.

They checked me and thank goodness my cervix was closed and high.  They did say, baby is head down now though.  They hooked me up to the fetal monitor and contraction monitor, and sure enough the contractions were showing up every 3-4 min.

They got me an IV, which they had to give me in my wrist b/c my veins were so tiny.  That HURT.
 They also took blood.
It wasn't long before test results came back.  Not good...
I was the "most dehydrated a person could be" they said.  My protein came back very very low, which made me upset.  And they were very concerned.

They started me on fluids, which turned into 3 bags of fluid because I was so dehydrated.  They also gave me some Zofran for my nausea.  They brought in water for me to sip and a Sprite to try.

When the contractions didn't look like they were stopping, they started talking about keeping me overnight.  They had slowed down, but they were still there and did cause me pain.  We were both kind of on edge, hoping that the fluids would do the trick.

By 11pm they gave me some Tylenol and I was exhausted.  They turned out the lights so I could rest and by midnight and a after a nap, the contractions had finally stopped.

Time to go home

We got home about 1am and I fell right to sleep.

What a crazy day and what a worrisome day we had.  Today, I'm already starting to feel better.  I still have no appetite, but I'm drinking my gatorade like they told me to.  I don't want to go back there for dehydration again!!!

All the while, baby Carter looked good on the monitor.  They did say I needed to gain more weight or this could be a very tiny baby when born. More protein in my diet is what they are calling for, so that's what I'm going to do - just as soon as I'm over this flu.


No comments:

Post a Comment