Pregnancy #2

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Belly with Baby #2

Belly with Baby #2
39 Weeks

Baby #2

Baby #2
Born April 16, 2013

1st Pregnancy

1st Pregnancy
2006

Baby #1

Baby #1
Born: May 24, 2006 7 lbs 9 oz. 20.5"

"Baby" #1

"Baby" #1
Now 8 Years Old

Maternity Photos

Maternity Photos



Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

In an effort to cut down on our spending, I've always wanted to try making my own homemade laundry detergent.  However, I've been addicted to the Tide Pods.  The smell... oh I love the smell!  

I cam across this recipe on my beloved Pinterest and it was one of the better recipes I'd seen, so thought I'd give it a try: 

So that is my plan today!
Total for the supplies was around $35, which includes the purchase of the bucket/lid, cheese grater, and the Oxi Clean was a little more b/c they were out of the smaller size that I needed.  This would have brought my total down by about $10 had I not had the extra expenses.
However, I didn't want to use my own cheese grater and the bucket will get used over and over if this recipe turns out!  Extra Oxi Clean can be used for the next batch.

I will update later today on how it goes!

UPDATE #1:
It's made!!  My cheese grater got gummed up a lot on the  fine side half way through the 1st bar (and it was taking forever), so I ended up using the thicker side to do the rest of the bar soap.
I did like the directions said and add a little at a time of each powder and mix as you go (not dumping it all in at the same time).  I really would suggest doing it a little at a time.  It is hard to get to the bottom the more you add in there.
All in all I'd say it took about 30-45 minutes (grating the soap took the longest)

I'll update again after I've used it on a couple of loads of laundry today.


UPDATE #2:
I've done several loads of laundry with this soap including our bathroom rugs.  I'd say it seems to be working just fine.  Everything smells great coming out of the dryer.  The true test is when Steve uses it on his work clothes this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment