Pregnancy #2

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Belly with Baby #2

Belly with Baby #2
39 Weeks

Baby #2

Baby #2
Born April 16, 2013

1st Pregnancy

1st Pregnancy
2006

Baby #1

Baby #1
Born: May 24, 2006 7 lbs 9 oz. 20.5"

"Baby" #1

"Baby" #1
Now 8 Years Old

Maternity Photos

Maternity Photos



Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Breastfeeding Update: 3 Weeks

I am now 3 weeks into exclusively breastfeeding our son.

I couldn't ask for it to be going any better.

I had hoped and prayed that this would be something I could do for him.  I was able to breastfeed our daughter, but only till she was 6 weeks old, when I had to return to work.  This baby, I really hoped I'd make it a lot longer then 6 weeks.

My short term goal:
6 MONTHS

I knew I was ABLE to breastfeed after having done it before, but the other 50% of successful breastfeeding is up to the baby.

When Carter was given to me after birth, I got to snuggle him for about 2 minutes before they had me try to nurse him.  I keep telling people he was like a "magnet."  He latched right on, so issue at all ever since.

He has a great latch, and from what the nurses told me, I have great nipples for nursing.  A great combo for successful breastfeeding.  Thank goodness!

Nursing in Public:
I've gotten brave, lol!
I didn't do this with my daughter.  If I needed to nurse, I did it in the car or in a closed off room.  This baby, I have a nursing cover, and I'm not afraid to use it.  I've used it at home when we have company, I've used it in the car when we were out and about, and I've even used it out shopping on a bench or sitting at a table that is convenient.  
Warming up to the idea of nursing in public and figuring out how to use my nursing cover.  Nursing in the car. 

Milk Supply:
I think I have just the right amount of milk for this little guy.  He has had some spit up issues, but nothing like my daughter.  I had a large over supply with her, which made it to be too much for her and uncomfortable for me.  With Carter, I'm rarely engorged.   My nipples have gotten a little sore here and there, he has extra strong suction when he is really hungry (FEED ME!).
I have been pumping a few morning a week.  I want to get a stock going in my freezer for when he goes to a babysitter.  I usually get 1-2 oz. after I feed him and then pump.

Nursing Schedule:
During the day he nurses anywhere from every 1.5-3 hours
At night he goes 2.5-4 hours
He nurses on average 8 min. on one side and 5 min. on the 2nd side
Sometimes he will hang out and comfort nurse and I'll let him stay there up to 10 min., but after that I know he's going to start having spit up issues.
A lot of times he will pop himself off when he is full though, I don't think he really is an over eater (yet).

After nursing, he is always a happy baby.  He will most of the time either fall asleep with a full belly or he gets into his "observation mode" where he is awake and looking around.

All in all, I've had a great experience this time around.  I love that I can have this bond with my son and it be a positive memory for me instead of a period in my life with a lot of challenges and frustration.   I only wish this would be every women's experience with breastfeeding.


No comments:

Post a Comment