Pregnancy #2

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Belly with Baby #2

Belly with Baby #2
39 Weeks

Baby #2

Baby #2
Born April 16, 2013

1st Pregnancy

1st Pregnancy
2006

Baby #1

Baby #1
Born: May 24, 2006 7 lbs 9 oz. 20.5"

"Baby" #1

"Baby" #1
Now 8 Years Old

Maternity Photos

Maternity Photos



Monday, February 10, 2014

Wheat Allergy - First 3 Days of Gluten Free

Our little Carter is now a whopping 9.5 months old.  30 1/4" long and 20 lbs. 8oz.
9.5 Months Old

He's a happy baby... during the day.  He's not such a happy baby most nights.  

We thought we had it figured out when he started reflux medicine about 2 months ago.  He slept better and the spit up had stopped 90% of the way.  

Then he got a low grade fever, started cutting his first teeth, and we started all over again.

We blamed a lot on the teething.  Then he spiked a HUGE fever of 102.4 and off to the doctor we went.  A virus.  No big deal, just keep him hydrated (as we had very few wet diapers that day as well).  

The thing that just kept me bothered about him were - his bright red cheeks.  They would come and go.  He'd take a nap and wake up and be fine.  On and off most days.  I figured a food allergy, and thought it was blueberries (from the baby yogurt).  So talked to the doctor about that.  She said, yeah, probably a food allergy - just keep a watch out for things that might be causing a reaction.

Finally, one night, his cheeks were so bad...
At the height of his allergy reaction
The next day, I told myself, I'm writing down EVERYTHING he eats and noting when he got the reaction.

I fed him his usual oatmeal and fruit breakfast - red cheeks, right away...

I jumped on the computer - oatmeal?  Is there a chance he could be allergic to his cereal.  

Yep, sure enough, there was a huge chance he could be allergic to his oatmeal - WHEAT - in particular.

I researched the day away.  Reactions lined right up with him.  What do I do?  What can he NOT have?  What CAN he have?  I got on the phone and called people I thought could help.  I got lots of support and advice, guidance.  

The even bigger thing - I'm still nursing this little guy and therefore, momma has to watch it too.  So not only was I researching everything I could for him, I was trying to come to terms with the huge change in diet I myself was going to have to under go as well.

Day one - I ate things around the house I knew were safe.  Carter's cabinet was cleaned out of all his oatmeal, puffs, cheerios, and snacks that were not gluten free.  We both went on a cold turkey gluten free day of eating.
I ran to Babies R Us to get him a gluten free cereal (quinoa and brown rice) and a couple snacks that were safe for him. (Mum-Mums and dehydrated fruits)
Carter the end of Day 1 

Day 2
The next day - he had slept ALL NIGHT.  10 straight hours.  That compared to the 3-4 hour (at best) stretches he had been sleeping at night.  SUCH A HUGE THING WAS STARTING TO HAPPEN!

We hit Target and checked out their gluten free options.  I appreciate that they had an entire end cap of all gluten free options.  It was wonderful, since I wasn't even sure where to start!  I also found gluten free "Happy Puffs" for Carter in the baby section!

Then it was off to Schnucks.  I'd never have paid attention before, but they have shelf flags that indicate that a product is gluten free.  Another great thing for this beginner.  My husband was wonderful at checking labels and being patient as we went down every aisle.  

All in all I bought bread, pastas, crackers, popcorn, and snacks for Carter to get me started.
Pasta
(I can't live without pasta)

Broths, Quinoa, oatmeal, "bread crumbs", bread, cream of chicken soup, coconut oil

Crochers and popcorn
(SO YUMMY!)

At this point I also realized that his lotion AND baby wash has oatmeal in it - so now that is also something we are replacing with a more natural option.

Day 3:
We are now on Day 3.  Carter slept 8 hours last night, still a great stretch for him.  His cheeks are clearing up.  He still has a little congestion, but we are all dealing with colds right now (never ending winter).  But his nose is much better then it has been.
Cheeks on day 3
He has the orange nose going from all his veggies - that's not unusual for him

More updates to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment